Monday, December 13, 2010

New Haircut


Many of you moms out there will get this, I'm confident: Since the day she burst into my world, I have struggled to wrap my brain around the idea of cutting Kensie's hair. I know it sounds silly, but she is, after all, my first child, and all of you screwed-up first children out there know how crazy parents can be when raising firstborns! I don't know what I've been so afraid of really: her growing up too quickly, seeing her beautiful blonde locks in the bottom of a dustpan, her looking like I did at this age when my mother placed a bowl atop my head and proceeded to cut? Whatever it was, I knew what had to be done, and I knew it had to be done soon. With her hair nearly touching the top of her butt, it had become nearly impossible to remove the "tanglers" that consistently formed from that bit of sucker, syrup, spaghetti . . . whatever she had gotten into it during the day! And being that the poor kid had to hold the swath that continually fell into her face high above her head just so she could see to play, I finally made the decision: It was time to CHOP! With the encouragement of my entire family, visiting for our holiday celebration, I mustered up the courage, and we did it. Four inches now gone (and some of it in an envelope in my purse), it's no 70s bowl cut, but I like it.

No comments: